Greenville is the capital of Sinoe County in southeastern Liberia and lies on a lagoon near the Sinoe River and the Atlantic Ocean. It is located about 150 miles southeast of Monrovia. As of the 2008 national census, the population stood at 16,434.
Location in Liberia
|Coordinates: 5°01′N 9°02′W|
The town was built in about 1838 by colonists of the Mississippi Colonization Society. Part of what was then the Mississippi-in-Africa colony (now Sinoe County), Greenville was named after Judge James Green, one of the first Mississippi Delta planters to send a group of former slaves to Liberia.
The town was destroyed in the Liberian Civil War but has since been rebuilt around a port for the local logging industry. Before the civil war, the town's main exports were lumber, rubber, and agricultural products.
Greenville has the third-largest port in Liberia. The port has two quays (70 m and 180 m long, respectively) on the inner side of the breakwater for berthing facilities, with an existing water depth of 6 m below chart datum. You can find a picture of Greenville here:Image result for Greenville City 800 × 533 (note that photo is from 2015 or earlier)
- "2008 National Population and Housing Census: Preliminary Results" (PDF). Government of the Republic of Liberia. 2008. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2012-04-15. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- British Museum Collection
- Johnston, Harry (1906). Liberia. 1. New York City: Dodd, Mead and Company. p. 157. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- Mississippi In Africa
- Ramsar Convention On Wetlands Archived 2011-07-28 at the Wayback Machine
- "Liberia: Counties, Major Cities, Towns & Urban Areas - Population Statistics in Maps and Charts". Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 2019-09-06.