The village of Glandore to include the pier at the base of the village. Main access point for sailors making entry to land.
Location in Ireland
|Coordinates: 51°33′52″N 09°07′33″W|
|Time zone||UTC+0 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-1 (IST (WEST))|
The village has several pubs, with traditional music. It is a very popular holiday destination for Irish holiday makers in particular. Famous homeowners include Margaret Jay, former leader of the House of Lords, and at one time prominent business-man Tony O'Reilly. The Church of Ireland which has been restored is located at the entrance of The Rectory originally a private home and then home of the Rectory and for a time a popular wedding venue. The Rectory (originally called East View) along with Bearna Donn (originally called West View) & Stone Hall were built in the 19th Century by the Allen Family. The village yacht club's official headquarters is located near the pier on the Old School Road.
The Irish Coast Guard has a unit based in Glandore at the "Rocket House" at the western end of the village.
The annual regatta takes place the third weekend of August. Sailing is the main attraction to the village; however, rowing and swimming are also a part of the community. In former years there used also be Irish dancing competitions in the village square. The Lar Casey Cup is awarded to the winning Dragon class yacht.
The village is located on the east side of Glandore Harbour. The harbour is approximately three miles long north to south with the village of Leap at the north end, Union Hall on the west side and two small islands, named Adam and Eve, at the mouth of the harbour at the south end. The sailing directions in the harbour are "to avoid Adam and hug Eve". Rocks in the middle of the harbour called The Perches have a flashing green mark to the western extremity indicating a safe channel. The Danger Rock further up the harbour is indicated with a flashing northern cardinal mark. The harbour itself is located midway in Glandore bay which is the area between The Galley Head and Toe Head.
Townlands in Glandore are Rushanes, Aughatubber, Drombeg in which Drombeg stone circle is located, Kilfinnan, Kilfaughnabeg, Brulea, Maulmarine, Kilcosan, Reenogreena, Cregg, Tralong, Carriglusky and Knockardan.
Due to its location, Glandore was one of the earlier settlements in the area. In 1215, the Normans built two castles here. The present pier and wall were built in the first half of the 19th century. A fair was held at Trá an Aonaigh (Beach of the Fair) also known as Tralong (Beach of the ship) in the 18th century.
Glandore was then for centuries closely associated with the O'Donovan family, who gained control of the harbour from the Normans and occupied its castles.
The harbour supports a wide array of species. Seabirds include grey herons, oystercatchers, gannets, shags, cormorants, herring gulls and black tipped gulls. A number of seals live in the harbour. Whale, dolphin, porpoise and shark are frequently found in the greater bay area between the Galley Head and Toe Head. There are many seals in the area also. Mackerel can be plentiful in the harbour depending on the time of year.
Over the years sailing has become a very widespread activity for both adults and children. The yacht club organizes 16+ courses every year for junior sailors while there is still courses for adults as well as powerboat and instructors courses. Every odd year Glandore hosts its "Classic Boat Regatta" which takes place over the space of a week. Boats from all over the country come to participate in this event. The Dragon and Squib keelboat classes and many dinghy classes including Topaz are raced by club members. The club has turned out many talented sailors over the years such as champion of everything carbon-fibre, Colman O'Riordan. For many years Glandore has been home to veteran transatlantic yachtsman and sailing author Don Street who continues to participate in local Dragon racing.
Places of interest
- Drombeg stone circle (also known as The Druid's Altar), is a recumbent stone circle located 2.4 km (1 mi) (1.5 miles) east of Glandore. (grid ref: 24672 35157, Latitude: 51.564553N Longitude: 9.08702W) Drombeg is one of the most visited megalithic sites in Ireland. There is no entry fee for this site.
- There is a Roman Catholic church one mile away on the Rosscarbery side of the village in the townland of Kilfaughnabeg (meaning "Little church of Faughna"). This church was built circa 1929. The building of a church at another location was abandoned before commencement of the construction of the existing church. The abandoned structure was in Killacoosane. Its erection had been undertaken by Fr. John Power, but the project was abandoned after his death.
- Christ Church (Church of Ireland) is on the Leap side of the village. It was consecrated in 1861. It contains a bell cast by the Murphy foundry in 1889.
- Tony O'Reilly, Chryss Goulandris and family, at one time lived at Shorecliffe, a complex of buildings centred on an old guesthouse at which O'Reilly used to stay with his first wife and children, later bought out and extended. A black labrador called "Beth" who swims in the harbour is often mistaken for a seal by tourists. Shorecliffe was sold in the 2000's.
- Leap and Glandore: Fact and Folklore,p.1, Eugene Daly. (2005)
- Weir, A (1980). Early Ireland. A Field Guide. Belfast: Blackstaff Press. pp. 114–115.
- "Drombeg". The Megalithic Portal. Retrieved 2008-06-11.
- Parish Histories and Placenames of West Cork, Bruno O'Donoghue.
- "Glandore, Christ Church".
- Martin Hough (2012-03-21), Kilfaughnabeg Church, Glandore, The restored Church Bell, retrieved 2019-02-23