Farmers Weekly is a magazine aimed at the British farming industry. It provides news; business features; a weekly digest of facts and figures about British, European and world agriculture; and Livestock, Arable and Machinery sections with reports on technical developments, farm sales and analysis of prices.
|First issue||June 22, 1934|
|Company||Reed Business Information|
History and profile
The first issue of The Farmers Weekly was on 22 June 1934, costing 2d. It claimed to be a newspaper of the soil and aimed to increase agricultural production in the United Kingdom. The magazine is published weekly on Fridays, typically 51 times per year. Among the books that Farmers Weekly has published are Farmhouse Fare (1935) and Home Made Country Wines (1955) both consisting of recipes contributed by readers of the magazine.
In the 1930s, its average circulation per issue is 100,000 copies. In 2004, Farmers Weekly had a circulation of 77,233. By 2013, this had fallen to an average circulation of 59,328 per issue. This declined to an average circulation of 44,023 per issue by 2018.
Farmers Weekly is part of Proagrica, which includes other products such as Farmplan, Sirrus and other precision agriculture software. Proagrica is owned by Reed Business Information and is based in Sutton in Surrey.
Farmers Weekly Interactive (FWi) is the online home of Farmers Weekly, with 623,231 unique visitors per month visiting FWi.co.uk . The media group owns many events including the Farmers Weekly Awards (which celebrates British agriculture and features influential farmers, Soils In Practice and Ag Careers Live.
The group also runs projects such as Farmers Apprentice (first launched in 2012 and runs bi-annually, the Young Farmers Festival and Britain's Fittest Farmer competition which was launched in March 2019 and highlights the need for farmers to take time out to focus on their physical health and mental wellbeing.
- "The life and times of Farmers Weekly". Farmers Weekly. Reed Business Information Limited. 7 January 2005. Archived from the original on 13 August 2011. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- The Europa World Year: Kazakhstan – Zimbabwe. Taylor & Francis Group. 2004. p. 4378. ISBN 978-1-85743-255-8. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Farmhouse Fare: A Cookery Book of Country Dishes : collected by The Farmers Weekly. London: Farmers Weekly. 1935. p. 2.
- "Business magazines circulation certificate January 2013 to December 2013 : Farmers Weekly" (PDF). Reed Business Information Limited. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Business magazines circulation certificate January 2018 to December 2018 : Farmers Weekly" (PDF). Reed Business Information Limited. Retrieved 19 June 2019.
- "Contact us – Farmers Weekly". Farmers Weekly. Reed Business Information Limited.
- "Advertise your product on FWi | Farmers Weekly Media Centre". Media Centre. Retrieved 2019-10-18.
- "BBC One – The Farmer's Country Showdown – Farm Worker Awards". BBC. 2018.
- "Are You As Fit As Britain's Fittest Farmer?". Coach. Retrieved 2019-10-18.
- "Farmers Weekly". Reed Business Information Limited.