She was a Member of the European Parliament in 2009.
She has B.Sc. (Econ.) from Helsinki School of Economics and Business Administration.
She is Honorary Doctorate of the College of Veterinary Medicine (1995) and Honorary Doctorate of Helsinki School of Economics and Business Administration (2001).
She is also the wife of Finnish pop singer, Matti "Fredi" Siitonen and the mother of Hanna-Riikka Siitonen, a Finnish singer and actress, and Petri Siitonen, a son that she had from a previous relationship.
EU parliament memberships in (2009)
- Committee on Legal Affairs
- Committee on Women's Rights and Gender Equality
- Delegation for relations with the People's Republic of China
- Commander of the Order of the White Rose of Finland
- Medal for Military Merit
- Medal for Civil Defence Merit
- Cross of the Finnish War Invalids
- Medal for National Defence Merit
- Helsinki Medal, golden
- Finnish Police Force, Medal for Merit
- Order of Leopold II, Grand Officer (Belgium)
- Order of the Polar Star, Commander first class (Sweden)
- Order of the White Star, 2nd Class (Estonia)
- Timeline of Helsinki, 1990s