Ethiopian units of measurement
These units have also been referred to as Abyssinian units of measurements.
1 pic = 0.686 metres
1 farsang = 5070 m
1 berri = 1⁄3 farsang (approx. 3 pics)
A number of units were used to measure mass. One rottolo is approximately equal to 0.311 kilograms. Some other units are provided below.
1 drachm = 1⁄120 rotto
1 derime = 1⁄120 rotto
1 wakea (ounce) = 1⁄12 rotto
1 mocha = 1⁄10 rotto
Two types of measuring system were used, one for dry measures and one for liquid measures.
Different units were used to measure dry capacities. One madega is approximately equal to 0.44 litres.
More than 70 different units are used in an ordinary household. Some of the more important units used are kilograms, kunna, medeb, esir, bobo, pieces, litres, tassa, kubaya, birchiko, sini, bottles, guchiye, sahen and weket.
- Medeb: meaning "heap", can be large or small, and is mainly used for vegetables.
- Tassa: A large serving can (often for cereals, pulses and liquids).
- Sini: A small ceramic cup often used for coffee, pulses (e.g. oilseeds) and spices.
- Birchiko: A glass often for pulses and liquids
- Kubaya: A mug, often for cereals, pulses and liquids.
- Esir: A "bundle" often used for cabbage and chat (a mild stimulant)
- Tikil: A wrap often for sugar and coffee.
- Pankhurst 1970, p. 45.
- Washburn, E.W. (1926). International Critical Tables of Numerical Data, Physics, Chemistry and Technology. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc. p. 2.
- Cardarelli, F. (2003). Encyclopaedia of Scientific Units, Weights and Measures. Their SI Equivalences and Origins. London: Springer. p. 7. ISBN 978-1-4471-1122-1.
- Cardarelli, F. (2003). Encyclopaedia of Scientific Units, Weights and Measures. Their SI Equivalences and Origins. London: Springer. p. 130. ISBN 978-1-4471-1122-1.
- Capeau, B.; Dercon, S. (1998), Prices, local measurement units and subsistence consumption in rural surveys: an econometric approach with an application to Ethiopia, Oxford: Institute of Economics and Statistics
- Disney, R.; Mamo, A.; McKay, A. (8 November 2001), Local measure, quality effects and estimation of demand elasticities in urban Ethiopia, Nottingham: University of Nottingham
- Pankhurst, Richard (1969), "A preliminary history of Ethiopian measures, weights and values (part 1)", Journal of Ethiopian Studies, vol. 7 (1): 31–54
- Pankhurst, Richard (1969), "A preliminary history of Ethiopian measures, weights and values (part 2)", Journal of Ethiopian Studies, vol. 7 (2): 99–164
- Pankhurst, Richard (1970), "A preliminary history of Ethiopian measures, weights and values (part 3)", Journal of Ethiopian Studies, vol. 8 (1): 45–86