Eluvium is the moniker of the American ambient recording artist Matthew Cooper, who currently resides in Portland, Oregon. Cooper, who was born in Tennessee and raised in Louisville, Kentucky, before relocating to the Northwest, is known for blending various genres of experimental music including electronic, minimalism and piano. His albums often feature artwork and photographs by Jeannie Paske.
Eluvium performing in Portland, Oregon
|Birth name||Matthew Cooper|
|Born||Tennessee, United States|
|Genres||Ambient, piano, minimalism, experimental|
|Labels||Temporary Residence Limited, Watership Sounds|
Matthew Robert Cooper and Miniatures
In April 2008 it was announced that Cooper would release a "solo album" under the name Matthew Robert Cooper. Writing on the Temporary Residence message boards Cooper explained the change "this is not far from something "eluvium" would release—but since I began writing them—I felt that they were somehow disconnected from eluvium—perhaps a different personality took shape—thus, the use of a different name - this work is very dear to me."
Cooper has also teamed up with Charles Buckingham, with whom he has worked on the ambient video project titled Window Exchange, to produce the "unedited improvised basement minidisc recordings" of Concert Silence. In the fall of 2007, Concert Silence made 09.22.07 [2-3pm], a 51-minute, six part instrumental piece.
In April 2010, Infraction Records released "09.22.07 [2-3pm]" on limited edition vinyl and compact disc, alongside a new 12" E.P./CD titled "Rain Furniture".
Cooper scored fellow Portlander Matt McCormick's feature film debut Some Days Are Better Than Others, under Temporary Residence Ltd. One of Cooper's original pieces can be heard in the trailer of the film. Another film scored by Cooper is For Thousands of Miles (2013) by Mike Ambs.
Cooper has released an Eluvium 10" vinyl named "Pedals / Petals" in January 2013, for the Vinyl Films project by film director Cameron Crowe.
In January 2014, Pitchfork reported that Cooper and Mark T. Smith of Explosions in the Sky have teamed up to form a new act called Inventions, who will release their first album, a self-titled, on April 1 through Temporary Residence. In September 2016 he released the album False Readings On.
- Studio albums
- Lambent Material (2003, Temporary Residence Limited)
- An Accidental Memory in the Case of Death (2004, Temporary Residence Limited)
- Talk Amongst the Trees (2005, Temporary Residence Limited)
- Copia (2007, Temporary Residence Limited)
- Similes (2010, Temporary Residence Limited)
- Static Nocturne (2010, Watership Sounds)
- Nightmare Ending (2013, Temporary Residence Limited)
- False Readings On (2016, Temporary Residence Limited)
- Shuffle Drones (2017, Temporary Residence Limited)
- Pianoworks (2019, Temporary Residence Limited)
- Singles, EPs and splits
- Travels in Constants Vol. 20 (2005, Temporary Residence Limited)
- When I Live by the Garden and the Sea (2006, Temporary Residence Limited)
- Jesu/Eluvium split (2007, Temporary Residence Limited)
- Leaves Eclipse the Light (2010, Temporary Residence Limited)
- The Motion Makes Me Last (2010, Temporary Residence Limited)
- "Pedals b/w Petals" (2013, Vinyl Films 10")
- Catalin (2014)
- Wisdom for Debris (2014)
- Indecipherable Text (2007, Sensory Projects, Australia)
- Australian release combines 'Lambent Material' and 'Talk Amongst the Trees' and includes three additional tracks.
- Life Through Bombardment (2009, Temporary Residence Limited)
- Vinyl box set of full discography with Cooper's signature, poster, and artwork.
- Life Through Bombardment Vol. 2 (2016, Temporary Residence Limited)
- Vinyl box set of full discography with Cooper's signature, poster, and artwork. Includes a compilation album of rare and unreleased material titled Curious Things
- Appears on
- Pacific UV - Pacific UV EP (2006, WARM Records) (song: "L.A.P.D. vs N.Y.P.D. (Eluvium Remix)")
- Queer as Folk Season 5 Episode 9 end credits "Genius and the Thieves"
- Skins Season 2 Episode 8 (Jal) "Genius and the Thieves"
- Various Artists - Thankful (2005, Temporary Residence Limited) (song: "Carousel")
- Various Artists - Tempset - (Re)Mix Tape (2006, Temporary Residence Limited) (Eluvium appears on four tracks of a mash-up remix CD made for Temporary Residence Limited's 10th Anniversary Festival, September 2006)
- Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone (2007, Temporary Residence Limited) (song: "So Long, Lonesome (Eluvium Mix)") (Matthew Cooper's mix of the album track appears on its bonus CD)
- Various Artists - Props Summer 2004 BMX Scene Report
- Various Artists - Destroy Independent Music! (2007, Temporary Residence Limited) (song: "Prelude For Time Feelers")
- Britney Spears - DVD: For the Record (2008), FremantleMedia Enterprises (song: "Taken")
- Ireland's Grand Slam Glory 2009 (song: "Radio Ballet")
- The Sight Below - Murmur EP (2009, Ghostly International) (song: "No Place For Us (Eluvium Remix)")
- Balmorhea - All Is Wild, All Is Silent: Remixes (2009, Western Vinyl) (song: "Settler (Eluvium Remix)")
- The Black Heart Procession - Blood Bunny / Black Rabbit (2010, Temporary Residence Limited (song: "Drugs (Remix by Eluvium)")
as Matthew Robert Cooper
- Studio albums
- Miniatures (2008, Gaarden Records)
- Original soundtracks
- Some Days Are Better Than Others (2011, Temporary Residence Limited)
as Martin Eden
In 2012, Cooper began releasing electronic music under a new moniker, Martin Eden, named after the 1909 Jack London book. Cooper described the debut Martin Eden 7" as something that "may appeal to fans of early Aphex Twin stuff, or turn of the century electronic music."
- Studio albums
- Dedicate Function (2012, Lefse Records)
- Lefse Records 7" (2012, Lefse Records)
as Concert Silence
Concert Silence is a collaborative project with Charles Buckingham that began in 2007
- Studio albums
- 09.22.07 [2-3pm] (2007, self-released on website / 2010, LP/CD, Infraction Records)
- Rain Furniture E.P. (2010, 12" EP/CD, Infraction Records)
as MRC / PRB
MRC / PRB is a collaborative project with Peter Broderick that began in 2011
- I Am Darkness, I Am Light (2011, lathe cut 5", Brian Records)
- Studio albums
- Springworlds (Temporary Residence Limited, 2015)
- Brice Ezell (2013-05-15). "On Nightmares Ending and Nightmarish Endings An Interview with Eluvium". Pop Matters.
- Darius A Monsef IV (2008-09-01). "Color of Music: Interview With Eluvium". Colour Lovers.
- "Obsolete World". Obsolete World. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "Temporary Residence Message Board". Temporary Residence. April 11, 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-02-11. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- "kri kri kri!". Gaarden Records. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "Eluvium's Cooper To Release Miniatures". liepaper.com. June 26, 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-08-20. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- "Online Video Art Space". Window Exchange. Archived from the original on 2013-05-22. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- Battan, Carrie. "Explosions in the Sky and Eluvium Members Team Up as Inventions". Pitchfork. Pitchfork. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Eluvium: False Readings On Album Review | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2016-09-07.
- Archived May 11, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Official website
- Eluvium discography at Discogs
- Semi-official myspace page - fan-operated but with blessings and featuring updates from Matthew Cooper
- Eluvium on Temporary Residence
- Eluvium interview of Erasing Clouds
- An Interview with Eluvium's Matthew Cooper on Cokemachineglow
- An interview with Matthew Cooper of Eluvium on ATTN:Magazine
- Eluvium live concert recordings on the Live Music Archive at archive.org
- Window Exchange "ambient video project"
- Concert Silence
- Radio Ballet by Eluvium
- Eluvium on Gaarden Records