David Hugh Mellor
D. H. Mellor
|Born||10 July 1938|
|Institutions||Darwin College, Cambridge|
|Doctoral students||Jeremy Butterfield, Tim Crane, Huw Price, Rebecca Roache|
|Philosophy of science|
Philosophy of mind
Philosophy of time
Mellor was born in London on 10 July 1938, and educated at Manchester Grammar School. He studied chemical engineering at Pembroke College, Cambridge (BA 1960). His first formal study of philosophy was at the University of Minnesota where he took a minor in Philosophy of Science under Herbert Feigl. From Minnesota he obtained an MSc in 1962. He obtained his PhD in philosophy, with a thesis written under the supervision of Mary Hesse, at Penbroke in 1968.
His primary work is metaphysics, although his philosophical interests include philosophy of science, philosophy of mind, probability, time and causation, laws of nature and properties, and decision theory. Mellor was Professor of Philosophy at the University of Cambridge and Fellow of Darwin College from 1971 to 2005. As a professor he was the subject of extensive media coverage as the main opponent of the conferment of an honorary degree in philosophy to the French philosopher Jacques Derrida.
He was president of the Aristotelian Society from 1992 to 1993, a member of the Humanist Philosophers' Group of the British Humanist Association and Honorary Fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities. He was a Fellow of the British Academy between 1983 and 2008. In retirement Mellor now holds the title of Emeritus Professor.
His Festschrift, Real Metaphysics, was published in 2003.
Mellor is also an amateur theatre actor.
- The Matter of Chance (1971). Cambridge University Press.
- Real Time (1981). Cambridge University Press.
- Real Time II (1998). Routledge.
- Matters of Metaphysics (1991). Cambridge University Press.
- The Facts of Causation (1995). Routledge.
- Probability: A Philosophical Introduction (2005). Routledge.
- Mind, Meaning, and Reality (2012). Oxford University Press
For a more complete list of publications and works see Mellor's homepage and entry at PhilPapers.
- Lillehammer, Hallvard; Rodriguez-Pereyra, Gonzalo (2003-09-02). "Introduction". Real Metaphysics. Routledge. ISBN 9781134533442.
- "Hugh Mellor — Faculty of Philosophy". www.phil.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 2019-10-10.
- "An Interview with Hugh Mellor" (1993) in Key Philosophers in Conversation: the Cogito interviews. Pyle, Andrew. London: Routledge. 1999. p.110-111 ISBN 0203016807. OCLC 51721217.
- "index — Faculty of Philosophy". www.phil.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 2019-10-10.
- Mellor, David Hugh (1971). The Matter of Chance. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521615983. [Freely available Open Access for download as a PDF]
- CUP Archive, 31 May 1985. Retrieved 2012-01-25 ISBN 0-521-28468-6.
- Routledge, 22 Jun 1998. Retrieved 2012-01-25 ISBN 0-415-09781-9.
- Mellor, David Hugh; Crane, Tim (1991). Matters of Metaphysics. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521411172. [Freely available Open Access for download as a PDF]
- "Works by D. H. Mellor - PhilPapers". philpapers.org. Retrieved 2019-10-10.
- Real Metaphysics: Essays in Honour of D. H. Mellor (2003). Hallvard Lillehammer and Gonzalo Rodriguez-Pereyra ed.
- Interviews with Philosophy Bites:
- Better Than The Stars 1978 BBC Radio programme made by Mellor about Frank Ramsey (featuring interviews with A. J. Ayer and Richard Braithwaite).
- "An Interview with Hugh Mellor" [reproduced, with permission, from Key Philosophers in Conversation: the Cogito interviews. Pyle, Andrew. London: Routledge. 1999. ISBN 0203016807. OCLC 51721217.]
- Archived versions of Mellor's homepage and Faculty page