Kroening was born in Mainz, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. He attended Marie-Therese-Gymnasium, Erlangen, Bavaria from 1986 to 1990 and Rotenbühl Gymnasium, Saarbrücken, Saarland from 1990 to 1995. Kroening's early work in those highschool years includes implementations of data transfer protocols and a BBS software package with Internet access management for small ISPs, which he released under free/open source licenses. In 1992, Kroening joined Handshake e.V., a local non-profit ISP. From 1993, he hosted and operated Handshake's main BBS system and by the end of 1994, it was running his software. Since 1996, he was also involved in Handshake's executive management. He regularly wrote on computer-related topics in Saarbrücker Zeitung, a local newspaper. After high school, Kroening completed his compulsory community service.
In winter term 1996, Kroening started studying computer science and economics at Saarland University. He received his diploma and doctoral degrees in 1999 and 2001. He was one of the fastest students in the history of the faculty, taking just four and a half years from first year student to doctorate. His prompt graduation received attention of the local media.
Kroening's professional activities include being a committee member of the leading program analysis conference CAV.
In his area of expertise, Kroening served as a consultant for companies like Intel, IBM and Fujitsu. He is also the CEO of Diffblue, an artificial intelligence company.
- Vijay D’Silva, Leopold Haller, Daniel Kroening: Abstract conflict driven learning. POPL 2013: 143-154
- A Survey of Automated Techniques for Formal Software Verification, D’Silva, Vijay, Kroening, Daniel and Weissenbacher, Georg, IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems (TCAD), Vol. 27, No. 7, pages 1165–1178. July 2008.
- Decision Procedures — an Algorithmic Point of View, Kroening, Daniel, Strichman, Ofer, Springer. 2008.
- Verification of Boolean Programs with Unbounded Thread Creation, Cook, Byron, Kroening, Daniel and Sharygina, Natasha, Theoretical Computer Science (TCS), Vol. 388, pages 227—242. 2007.
- Kröning, Daniel. "Formal Verification of Pipelined Microprocessors" (PDF). emis.de. p. 80.
- "Professor Daniel Kroening | Magdalen College Oxford". Magd.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Daniel Kröning". www.kroening.handshake.de. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- Kroening, Daniel. "DBOX BBS Package". www.dbox.handshake.de. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "DBOX". freshmeat.sourceforge.net. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- Both, Andreas. "Chronik des Handshake e.V." www.handshake.de. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "VorteQ Consulting - Daniel Kröning". www.vorteqconsulting.com. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Daniel Kroening | HuffPost UK". Huffingtonpost.co.uk. 17 February 2017. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "An Oxford University artificial intelligence startup has raised £17 million to check code for errors". uk.news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 1 August 2017.