Congolian rainforest ecoregions: 2. Atlantic Equatorial coastal forests, 6. Central Congolian lowland forests 7. Eastern Congolian swamp forests, 8. Western Congolian swamp forests, 9. Northeastern Congolian forests, 15. Northwestern Congolian lowland forests
|Biome||Tropical and subtropical moist broadleaf forests|
|Countries||Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon|
The Congolian forests cover southeastern Cameroon, Gabon, the Republic of the Congo, the northern and central Democratic Republic of the Congo, and portions of southern and southwestern Central African Republic.
The Congolian rainforest is the world’s second-largest tropical forest, spans six countries, and contains a quarter of the world’s remaining tropical forest. With annual forest loss of 0.3% during the 2000s, the region has the lowest deforestation rate of any major tropical forest zone.
To the north, south, and southwest, the forests transition to drier forest-savanna mosaic, a mosaic of drier forests, savannas, and grasslands. To the west, the Congolian forests transition to the coastal Lower Guinean forests, which extend from southwestern Cameroon into southern Nigeria and Benin; these forests zones share many similarities and are sometimes known as the Lower Guinean-Congolese forests. To the east, the lowland Congolian forests transition to the highland Albertine Rift montane forests, which cover the mountains lining the Albertine Rift, a branch of the East African Rift system. The Congolian Forests are a global 200 ecoregion.
- Atlantic Equatorial coastal forests (Cameroon, Gabon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo)
- Northwestern Congolian lowland forests (Cameroon, Central African Republic, Gabon, Republic of Congo)
- Western Congolian swamp forests (Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo)
- Eastern Congolian swamp forests (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
- Central Congolian lowland forests (Democratic Republic of the Congo)
- Northeastern Congolian lowland forests (Democratic Republic of the Congo, Central African Republic)
- Lower Guinean forests
- Flora of West-Central Tropical Africa
- "Congo Basin Forest Partnership". USAID. Archived from the original on 2008-05-08. Retrieved 2008-05-06.
- Mayaux, P.; Pekel, J. F.; Desclée, B.; Donnay, F.; Lupi, A.; Achard, F.; Clerici, M.; Bodart, C.; Brink, A.; Nasi, R.; Belward, A. (2013). "Mayaux et al 2013". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B. 368 (1625): 20120300. doi:10.1098/rstb.2012.0300. PMC 3720022. PMID 23878331.
- "Deforestation in the Congo Rainforest". Mongabay.
- Linder, H. Peter, Helen M. de Klerk Julia Born et al. (2012). "The partitioning of Africa: statistically defined biogeographical regions in sub‐Saharan Africa". Journal of Biogeography Volume 39, Issue 7 May 2012.
- Congo Basin Ecoregions, Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
- The Congo Rainforest