Community Justice (Scotland) Act 2016
The Community Justice (Scotland) Act 2016 is an Act of the Scottish Parliament passed in February 2016 to make provision for new community justice arrangements. The Act established a new national body to oversee community justice and it introduced requirements about achieving outcomes that were set locally and nationally.
|Act of the Scottish Parliament|
|Long title||An Act of the Scottish Parliament to make provision about community justice, including establishing a new national body to oversee community justice and introducing requirements in relation to the achievement of particular nationally and locally determined outcomes; and for connected purposes.|
|Introduced by||Michael Matheson|
|Royal assent||21 March 2016|
|Commencement||1 April 2017|
Status: Current legislation
|Text of the Community Justice (Scotland) Act 2016 as in force today (including any amendments) within the United Kingdom, from legislation.gov.uk.|
In September 2015, a report was publisher by the Ministerial Group on Offender Reintegration. There bill was also some flexibility introduced around the date of release, to better match available support in the community.
The justice committee considered how the legislation might make provision for 32 local community planning partnerships (CPPs) taking on new responsibilities without any new funding for them to do this. The legislation established a new national body, Community Justice Scotland.
It received Royal Assent on 21 March 2016.
- O’Leary, David (9 May 2015). "Plans for new body to oversee justice in community". The Scotsman. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Marshall, Chris (16 September 2015). "Bid to cut re-offending by ending weekend prison release". The Scotsman. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Naysmith, Stephen (20 January 2016). "Criminal justice reforms see everyone taking offence". The Herald. Glasgow. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Robertson, Alan (12 February 2016). "MSPs pass Community Justice Bill amid ongoing concerns over funding". Holyrood. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- "MSPs back overhaul of community justice system". The Herald. 11 February 2016. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Robertson, Alan (12 February 2016). "MSPs pass Community Justice Bill amid ongoing concerns over funding". Holyrood. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
- Progress of the bill at Scottish Parliament