Archibald Matthias Dunn
Archibald Matthias Dunn
|Died||17 January 1917|
|Alma mater||Ushaw College and Stonyhurst College|
|Awards||President of the Northern Architectural Association|
|Practice||Dunn and Hansom|
|Buildings||Downside Abbey transepts|
Dunn was born in Wylam, Northumberland. His father was Matthias Dunn, a mining engineer and manager and one of the first Government Inspectors of Mines for the North East of England. Archibald Dunn was educated at Ushaw College and Stonyhurst College. He then went to Bristol to be apprenticed to architect Charles Francis Hansom, the younger brother of Joseph Aloysius Hansom, the inventor of the Hansom cab and founder of The Builder. It was here that Dunn met his future partner Edward Joseph Hansom, the son of his employer.
Their principal works in North East England include the tower and spire of St Mary’s Cathedral in Newcastle upon Tyne, and the church of St. Michael in Elswick, Tyne and Wear. Dunn was also a prominent local landowner. Across the valley from Prudhoe is Castle Hill House (1878–9), which he designed and built as his own home in Wylam. Previously he had lived in Gateshead, where he was an Alderman, Mayor and a Justice of the Peace for County Durham. In 1870 Dunn was President of the Northern Architectural Association.
In 1862 Dunn married Sara Armstrong, an author. They both enjoyed travel, and in 1886 Dunn published a book entitled Notes and Sketches of an Architect, which was a collection of sketches made in France, Germany, Spain and England. Dunn's son, Archibald Manuel Dunn, was taken into partnership of the firm in 1887, and it became Dunn, Hansom & Dunn.
In 1894, W. Ellison Fenwicke also became a partner in the firm. In 1903, the younger Dunn withdrew. Fenwicke continued to run the firm with various partners and under various styles, the final practice being Dunn Hansom & Fenwicke although Fenwicke by then was the only active partner. Dunn retired between 1883 and 1887. In 1901 the Dunns moved to Wood House, Branksome Park, in Bournemouth, where he died on 17 January 1917 aged 85.
Buildings designed by Dunn
1854 Saint Mary’s RC Church, Blackhill
1858 National School, Blyth
1858 St. Andrew’s Cemetery, Hexham
1858 St. Joseph’s RC Church, Gateshead
1860 St Anthony of Padua RC Church, Walker, Newcastle
1858 Our Lady and St Wilfrid RC Church, Blyth
1869 St George’s RC Church, Bells Close, Lemington
1873 Saint Dominic’s RC Church, Newcastle
18?? St. Nicholas’ Cemetery, Newcastle.
1868 Prudhoe Hall, Prudhoe
1868 Mining Institute/Wood Memorial Hall, Newcastle
1878 Castle Hill House, Wylam.
Dunn & Hansom
1860 Spire of Saint Mary’s Cathedral, Newcastle
1873–1882 Transepts and base of tower, Downside Abbey, Somerset
1876 Saint Matthew’s School (mainly Hansom), South Road, Prudhoe
1882 Alterations to Pugin’s Chapel, Ushaw
Dunn, Hansom & Dunn
1887 Medical School, Northumberland Road, Newcastle
1887-1937 Durham University College of Medicine; housed the Dental School of the University of Durham 1945-78; and from 1978, the Law School of the University of Northumbria
1891 St Michael’s RC Church, Westmorland Rd, Newcastle
1891 Our Lady and St Cuthbert RC Church, Prudhoe
1893 St Joseph’s RC Church, Hartlepool
- "Our Lady, Prudhoe". Archived from the original on 14 May 2008. Short biography of Dunn
- Dunn & Hansom Architectural Practice from ScottishArchitects.org.uk, retrieved 27 December 2015
- Historic England. "Abbey Church of St Gregory The Great, Downside Abbey (1058633)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- Wilkins, P. S. 'The Church of Our Lady and the English Martyrs, Cambridge' 1st edn. Cambridge University Press (1955)
Johnson, Michael A., 'The architecture of Dunn & Hansom of Newcastle' (Newcastle upon Tyne: University of Northumbria, MA Dissertation, 2003)
Johnson, Michael A., 'Architects to a Diocese: Dunn and Hansom of Newcastle' in Northern Catholic History, No.49, 2008, pp3–17.
Johnson, Michael A., ‘English Gothic, Early Perpendicular Style’ in Zeilinski, P. (2007) The Church That Moved. Hebburn: Smith Bros.