Apostolic Vicariate of Alexandria of Egypt
The Apostolic Vicariate of Alexandria of Egypt, or in full - of Alexandria of Egypt-Heliopolis-Port Said (Latin: Vicariatus Apostolicus Alexandrinus) is the Roman Catholic Apostolic vicariate (missionary ordinariate) in Egypt, named after its cathedral see in Alexandria, a port city and former Catholic patriarchate.
It is exempt, i.e. directly subject to the Holy See, not part of any ecclesiastical province.
- the cathedral episcopal see in Alexandria, Saint Catherine.
- the co-cathedral and former cathedral Notre-Dame of Heliopolis, in Egypt's metropolitan national capital Cairo's suburb Heliopolis, formerly seat of a separate apostolic vicariate Heliopolis in northern Egypt
- the co-cathedral and former cathedral Our Lady and St. Michael, in Port Said, formerly seat of a separate apostolic vicariate in southern Egypt
- Basilica of St Therese of the Child Jesus, Cairo, a minor basilica.
- Established on May 18, 1839 as Apostolic Vicariate of Egypt and Arabia, on territory split off from the Apostolic Vicariate of Aleppo in Syria, then covering vast territory in Africa and Arabia
- Lost territory to establish the Apostolic Prefecture of Jedda in 1840 and again on 1846.04.03 to establish the Apostolic Vicariate of Central Africa
- Renamed as Apostolic Vicariate of Egypt in 1851
- Lost territory on several occasions to establish
- Coptic Catholic Diocese of Iskanderiya (Alexandria) in 1895
- Apostolic Prefecture of the Nile Delta on 1886.01.25
- Apostolic Prefecture of Eritrea on 1894.09.13
- the Coptic Catholic Patriarchal See of Alexandria, Coptic Catholic Diocese of Luqsor and Coptic Catholic Diocese of Minya on 1895.11.26
- Apostolic Vicariate of Canal of Suez on 1926.07.12
Its full title reflects the (re)absorption of two former Latin Church missionary circonscriptions in Egypt :
- Apostolic Vicars of Egypt
Until 1921, the Apostolic Vicar was also the Holy See's Apostolic Delegate to Egypt and Arabia
- Bishop Perpetuo Guasco da Solero, O.F.M. Obs. (1839.06.07 – 1859.08.02)
- Bishop Paškal Vujičić, O.F.M. Obs. (1860.09.28 – 1866.08.06)
- Archbishop Luigi Ciurcia, Friars Minor (O.F.M.) (1866.07.27 – 1881.05.01)
- Archbishop Anacleto Chicaro, O.F.M. (1881.05.12 – 1888.10.05)
- Archbishop Aurelio Briante, O.F.M. (1904.07.23 – 1921.02)
- Bishop Félix Couturier, O.P. (1919.07.03 – 1921.06.28), who became Bishop of Alexandria in Ontario (Canada) (1921.06.28 – 1941.07.27)
- Bishop Igino Nuti, O.F.M. (1921.12.20 – 1945, followed by a four-year tvacancy)
- Apostolic Vicars of Alexandria of Egypt
- Jean de Capistran Aimé Cayer, O.F.M. (26 May 1949 – 13 April 1978)
- Egidio Sampieri, O.F.M. (29 April 1978 – 26 August 2000)
- Giuseppe Bausardo, S.D.B. (24 February 2001 – 29 October 2008)
- Apostolic Administrator Gennaro De Martino, (29 October 2008 – 1 September 2009)
- Adel Zaky, O.F.M. (1 September 2009 – 21 July 2019)
- Apostolic Administrator Elia Eskandr Abd Elmalak, O.F.M. (29 September 2019)