Lien-Ju Anne Chao (Chinese: 趙蓮菊) is a Taiwanese environmental statistician. She works in the Institute of Statistics at National Tsing Hua University, where she is Tsing Hua Distinguished Chair Professor and a former Taiwan National Chair Professor. Chao has described herself as "60% statistician, 30% mathematician and 10% ecologist". She is known for her work on mark and recapture methods for estimating the size and diversity of populations. She has authored or co-authored a number of software tools for quantifying and estimating biological diversity, and her scholarly works have been cited more than 23,000 times as of November 2019.
|Title||Tsing Hua Distinguished Chair Professor|
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin at Madison|
|Thesis||The Quadrature Method in Inference Problems Arising From the Generalized Multinomial Distribution (1977)|
|Doctoral advisor||Bernard Harris|
|Institutions||National Tsing Hua University|
|Main interests||Mark and recapture methods|
|Notable works||Diversity Analysis, |
Statistical Estimation of Biodiversity Indices
Chao earned a bachelor's degree in mathematics at National Tsing Hua University in 1973. She came to the U.S. for graduate study, completing a Ph.D. in statistics at the University of Wisconsin–Madison in 1977. Her dissertation, supervised by Bernard Harris, was The Quadrature Method in Inference Problems Arising From the Generalized Multinomial Distribution. After working for a year as a visiting assistant professor at the University of Michigan, she returned to National Tsing Hua University as a faculty member in 1978. She was Taiwan National Chair Professor there from 2005 to 2008, and became Tsing Hua Distinguished Chair Professor in 2006.
With Lou Jost, Chao is the author of Diversity Analysis (Taylor & Francis, 2008; Chapman & Hall, 2017). She is also the author with of Statistical Estimation of Biodiversity Indices (Wiley, 2017) with Chun-Huo Chiu and Jost.
- Brief curriculum vitae, National Tsing Hua University, retrieved 2017-11-24
- Grieves, Chris (December 2, 2015), "New Associate Editor: Anne Chao", Methods in Ecology and Evolution
- Magurran, Anne E. (2013), Measuring Biological Diversity, John Wiley & Sons, p. 95, ISBN 9781118687925,
Many of the methods were devised by Anne Chao and her colleagues. They are both elegant and efficient and offer probably the most significant advance in diversity measurement in more than a decade.
- "Anne Chao's Website | Software Download". chao.stat.nthu.edu.tw. Retrieved 2019-11-30.
- Hsieh, T. C.; Chao, K. H. Ma and Anne (2019-01-24), iNEXT: Interpolation and Extrapolation for Species Diversity, retrieved 2019-11-30
- "Anne Chao - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2019-11-30.
- Wisconsin statistics dissertations, retrieved 2017-11-24
- Individual members, International Statistical Institute, retrieved 2017-11-23