Al-Tina was a Palestinian Arab village in the Ramle Subdistrict of Mandatory Palestine. It was depopulated during the 1948 Arab–Israeli War on July 8, 1948, by the Givati Brigade under Operation An-Far. It was located 20. km south of Ramla.
|Etymology: The fig tree|
|Coordinates: 31°44′48″N 34°49′11″E|
|Geopolitical entity||Mandatory Palestine|
|Date of depopulation||July 8–9, 1948|
|• Total||7,001 dunams (7.001 km2 or 2.703 sq mi)|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Military assault by Yishuv forces|
Al-Tina was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire in 1517 with all of Palestine, and in 1596 it appeared in the tax registers under the name of Safiriyya, as being in the nahiya ("subdistrict") of Gaza, which was part of Gaza Sanjak. It had a population of 10 household; an estimated 55 persons, who were all Muslims. They paid a fixed tax-rate of 25% on agricultural products, including wheat, barley, summer crops, sesame, fruit trees, goats and beehives, in addition to occasional revenues; a total of 4,350 akçe.
In 1838, it was noted as a Muslim village, el Letineh, in the Gaza District. In 1851-52, van de Velde noted many old stone laying about the village.
British Mandate era
In the 1922 census of Palestine conducted by the British Mandate authorities, Tineh had a population of 396, all Muslims, increasing in the 1931 census to 530, still all Muslims, in a total of 131 houses.
In the 1945 statistics the village had a population of 750 Muslims, with 7,001 dunams of land. Of this, 141 dunams were used for citrus and bananas, 5,639 for cereals, while 24 dunams were classified as built-up areas.
1948 and aftermath
In 1992 the village site was described: "The village has been completely effaced. Next to the site is a wide area, overgrown with bushes and thorns, that is fenced in on the southern side. An orange grove is planted on the northern and western edges of the site. A highway that runs east-west passes to the south, and a railway line passes by about 100 meters to the east."
- Palmer, 1881, p. 275
- Morris, 2004, p. xix, village #269. Also gives cause of depopulation.
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 68
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 30
- Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 143
- Khalidi, 1992, p. 416
- Robinson and Smith, vol.3, Appendix 2, p. 118
- van de Velde, 1854, p. 160
- Guérin, 1869, p. 88
- Socin, 1879, p. 162
- Hartmann, 1883, p. 133 also noted 96 houses in el-letine.
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 414, cited in Khalidi, 1992, p. 416
- Barron, 1923, Table VII, Sub-district of Ramleh, p. 21
- Mills, 1932, p. 23.
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 117
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 167
- Morris, 2004, p. 224
- Morris, 2004, p. 414
- Morris, 2004, p. 432
- Morris, 2004, p. 436
- Morris, 2004, p. 437
- Morris, 2004, p. 443
- Barron, J.B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, C.R.; Kitchener, H.H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945.
- Guérin, V. (1869). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 1: Judee, pt. 2. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale.
- Hadawi, S. (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center. Archived from the original on 2018-12-08. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- Hartmann, M. (1883). "Die Ortschaftenliste des Liwa Jerusalem in dem türkischen Staatskalender für Syrien auf das Jahr 1288 der Flucht (1871)". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 6: 102–149.
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. ISBN 3-920405-41-2.
- Khalidi, W. (1992). All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948. Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies. ISBN 0-88728-224-5.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Morris, B. (2004). The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6.
- Palmer, E.H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Robinson, E.; Smith, E. (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 3. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.
- Socin, A. (1879). "Alphabetisches Verzeichniss von Ortschaften des Paschalik Jerusalem". Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palästina-Vereins. 2: 135–163.
- Velde, van de, C.W.M. (1854). Narrative of a journey through Syria and Palestine in 1851 and 1852. 2. William Blackwood and son.