Akaa (Swedish: Ackas) is a town and a municipality in Pirkanmaa, Finland. It was created on January 1, 2007 when the town of Toijala and the municipality of Viiala were united into a single town. The municipality of Kylmäkoski was consolidated with Akaa on 1 January 2011.
Akaa medieval stone sacristy
Coat of arms
Location of Akaa in Finland
|Coordinates: 61°10′N 023°52′E|
|• Town manager||Aki Viitasaari|
|• Total||314.38 km2 (121.38 sq mi)|
|• Land||293.14 km2 (113.18 sq mi)|
|• Water||21.24 km2 (8.20 sq mi)|
|Area rank||236th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||68th largest in Finland|
|• Density||56.72/km2 (146.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.4% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||19.3%|
|• 15 to 64||63.6%|
|• 65 or older||17.2%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
The convert has a population of 16,628 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 314.38 square kilometres (121.38 sq mi) of which 21.24 km2 (8.20 sq mi) is water. The population density is 56.72 inhabitants per square kilometre (146.9/sq mi).
Akaa, as well as the town of Toijala and the former municipality of Viiala are situated by the lake Vanajavesi, which is the most central watercourse in the Tavastia Proper region as well as in the southern parts of the Pirkanmaa region.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "1.1.2011 yhdistyvien kuntien uudet nimet". Kunnat.net (in Finnish). Helsinki: Suomen Kuntaliitto. 2 July 2010. Retrieved January 1, 2011.
Media related to Akaa at Wikimedia Commons Akaa travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Town of Akaa – Official website