Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez
|Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez|
|Born||17 September 1915 |
|Died||8 July 2011 |
After studying philosophy at the University of Madrid, Vázquez emigrated to Mexico in 1939 with thousands of other intellectuals, scientists and artists following the defeat of the Republic in the Spanish Civil War, in which he participated as editor of the central publication of the Juventudes Socialistas Unificadas (JSU) “Ahora”. Sánchez was appointed a full-time professor of philosophy at the National Autonomous University of Mexico in 1959, becoming a professor emeritus of the university in 1985. Sánchez also held honorary doctoral degrees from the Universidad Autónoma de Puebla and the University of Cádiz (Spain).
He embraced Marxism, although an open, renovating, critical and non-dogmatic version of it. His fresh interpretation of Marxism ran parallel to that of the Frankfurt School. In fact, The Philosophy of Praxis was published at around the same time as Herbert Marcuse was writing his One Dimensional Man. In regard to ethics, he opposed normativism.
- The Aesthetic Ideas of Marx (1965)
- The Philosophy of Praxis (1967)
- Rousseau in Mexico (The Philosophy of Rousseau and the Ideology of Independence) (1969)
- Aesthetics and Marxism (1970)
- Anthology. Texts of Aesthetics and Theory of Art (1972)
- Art and Society: Essays in Marxist Aesthetics (1973)
- From Scientific Socialism to Utopian Socialism (1975).
- Recollections and Reflections of an Exile (1997)
- Poetry (2005)
- Gandler, Stefan: Critical Marxism in Mexico: Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez and Bolívar Echeverría, Leiden/Boston, Brill Academic Press, 2015. 467 pages. ISBN 978-90-04-22428-5.(Historical Materialism Book Series, ISSN 1570-1522; vol. 87.)
- Gandler, Stefan: Peripherer Marxismus. Kritische Theorie in Mexiko. Hamburg, Berlin: Argument-Verlag, 1999. 459 pages, ISBN 3-88619-270-9.
- Gandler, Stefan: Marxismo crítico en México, Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez y Bolívar Echeverría. (Foreword: Michael Löwy.) México, D.F.: Fondo de Cultura Económica / Facultad de Filosofía y Letras UNAM / Universidad Autónoma de Querétaro, 2007, 621 pages, ISBN 978-968-16-8404-4. Reprint: 2008.
- Fallece el filósofo y escritor Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez Archived July 10, 2011, at the Wayback Machine (in Spanish)
- Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez would later write of this position: “Bearing in mind that we are talking about the central publication of the most important youth organisation in the Republican zone, with more than 200,000 members, and the enormous influence that it exerted through these members on the Popular Army, this was an enormous responsibility given my 21 years of age” (A. Sánchez Vázquez, “Vida y filosofía”, Anthropos, Barcelona, no. 52, August 1985, p. 12.)
- Galván Chávez, Ana. "Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez y el marxismo" ("Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez and Marxism") Retrieved 22 Mar. 2009. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-07-21. Retrieved 2006-04-05.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Galván Chávez, Ana. "Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez y el marxismo" ("Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez and Marxism"). Retrieved 22 Mar. 2009. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-07-21. Retrieved 2006-04-05.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- (in Spanish) Biography
- (in Spanish) Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez and Marxism
- (in Spanish) The Praxis in Sánchez Vázquez
- (in Spanish) An interview with Sánchez Vázquez
- Spanish Philosopher Adolfo Sanchez Vazquez Dies in Mexico